Monday, September 30, 2013

U.S. Space and Rocket Center

We moved to Huntsville, AL about 6 months ago and we finally made it to the U.S. Space and Rocket center thanks to Smithsonian Magazine Museum Day Live! The Museum Day Live provided free admission to one person plus a guest. I had heard about it on a local mom's site and there were actually two museums in Huntsville participating. The other one is called Sci-Quest which is a hands on childrens museum, sounds like fun but maybe not for another year or two for Lillian. At the Space and Rocket Center Children 5 and under are free so it was completely free for us to go. Normally tickets for adults are  $20 and children are $15, but that's just general admission. They have an IMAX and 3D theater that costs extra. Military families do get a discount.

I decided to get the tickets for the U.S. Space and Rocket center and surprise Kevin because he has never been and with the missile defense work he does I knew he'd enjoy it. I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would since Kevin was able to explain things and tell how he has worked on certain projects talked about in the different exhibits. This is actually a missile project called THAAD kevin worked on.

One of the cool exhibits was the Red Bull Stratos Exhibit. This is about Felix Baumgartner who broke the speed of sound reaching an estimated speed of 833.9 mph jumping from the stratosphere, which when certified will make him the first man to break the speed of sound in freefall. Very cool. Unfortunately the exhibits final day is today.

We didn't have our nice camera so all the pictures are from my phone but they turned out good enough for the memories.
I made Kevin take a picture with the Astronaut
This is the Saturn 5.  Below is a 1/10 scale model. 




I never realized that majority of this rocket falls off and the astronauts sit in a teeny tiny portion at the top.
No wonder they switched to shuttles where the astronauts could actually float around

F-1 engines of the Saturn 5. Hard to tell actual size but they were HUGE. 

Don't remember exactly what this was but i'm assuming one of the engines.

Space Shuttle 

Lillian the future astronaut (if they ever let people go back into space again)

 We had a good time as a little family even if Lillian had no clue what was going on. If anyone ever wants to go you have a free place to stay. (Only one bed for now though) We live literally across the street interstate from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment