Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Lillian's 19th Week

This 19 week old is a busy little bee. So long are the days (for now) where she would just lie still on daddy's chest. She is always wanting to be sitting up seeing the world.


Nursing: I have been sick with a sore throat and cough this last week. I noticed lately that Lillian wasn't eating as well and thought my milk supply had gone down. Well with being sick it was worse so i went and bought some Fenugreek. Its a supplement to help increase your milk and it worked for me after just 2 days. They warn you that if you take it you may smell like maple syrup and they aren't joking. I don't think I smell like it but it sure tastes like syrup going down. With the Fenugreek Lillian has been back to eating about 20 minutes each feeding. We also started rice cereal this last week. I was hesitant because I wanted to wait until she was 6 months old but since she has had difficulties sleeping through the night we talked and decided this was best to at least try. I only give it to her at her last feeding of the day. I nurse her on both sides first then give her 1 tbsp of rice cereal with 2 ounces of expressed milk. Here is a video of our first and second attempt of feeding it to her via spoon. 2 fails on the first attempt were not nursing her first so she was very hungry and secondly feeding through a spoon.

Sleeping:  With the help of the rice cereal and better feedings Lillian has been sleeping better again. She isn't waking early from her naps. She still wakes at 3:30 am but as before I put her paci back in and she falls right back to sleep and stays asleep until 7 as opposed to waking every hour like she had been. I still cannot figure out why she wakes up at 3:30 but there is nothing that seems to help. I've let her cry it out but that wakes her up more we've cut her naps shorter and let her sleep longer. I was worried that we started Lillian too soon on the four hour schedule. She is able to go the four hours between feedings but I feel she wasn't getting full enough for the night. Here is her new schedule we are using that seems to be helping.
7am wake up, nurse, wake time
8:15-8:30 down for nap (I cannot seem to keep her awake longer than an hour and a half)
11am wake up, nurse, wake time
12:15-12:30 down for nap
3pm wake up, nurse, wake time
4:30 down for nap (this is the only nap she wakes early but she still doesn't eat until 6)
6pm Eats wake time until next feedings at 9pm. if she starts to get fussy I will put her in her swing and if she falls asleep fine if not then I let her play. So far she sleeps for about 45 minutes during this time. If we need to do anything we usually go during this time. It helps keep her awake and doesn't interrupt any of her other naps of the day.
9pm last feeding, nurse then bottle of rice cereal, then straight to bed

Other Happenings:
- Lillian's hair is slowly starting to grow back in on the sides

- Mommy was sick with a sore throat and cough all week but Lillian hasn't gotten it so far, benefit of breastfeeding. If you didn't see if on my Facebook page already here is a video of what she thought of me having a cough
- Lillian is teething still but she is not fussy about it she just chews on her bib, burp cloth, toys, and fingers. What is interesting is she sticks her fingers/thumb to the back of her gums. I thought the first few teeth that come in are the central incisors.
- moved up to size 2 diapers
- Starting to be able to support herself sitting up. She can't sit up long but she starts to lean forward and support herself on her hands.


No comments:

Post a Comment