Monday, December 1, 2014

Potty Training Lillian

We started legit potty training on Nov. 18th. Lillian was 2 days shy of being 20 months old. I had been putting her on the potty before bath and bedtime since she was about 17 months old. I may have been able to potty train her earlier but I don't think I was ready to commit to that and felt she was still too young and not able to voice her needs at 17 months as well as she can now. It has been 2 weeks since we started the process and I am impressed at how well it went. It was not easy, especially at first, and was very stressful on me those first few days. Kevin and I were watching a movie together on the night of day 3 and it was so funny. I was laughing so hard I started to cry and then I couldn't stop crying. Kevin had no clue what was going on. I assumed it was just the stress over the last few days had built up. Side Note: we had actually read an article recently about how laughing and crying are very similar and that's why some people laugh when they are  hurt or cry when they are laughing. After the first few days though it got much easier.


Picking out undies at Walmart. We got one package of training pants (3 pairs) and regular Minnie Mouse ones (7 pairs).  I wanted to make sure we had multiple pairs in case of accidents. I was surprised at how expensive underwear was but I guess it's better than diapers int he long run. I was worried they would be too big. She wears 18 month pants with a diaper and these said 2T. The lowest weight I could find was 26lbs at Babies R Us but she is only about 24lbs. Surprisingly both sets were smaller than I expected. The training pants were a little big but still worked fine. 



I had read many blogs about different techniques and got a lot of advice from others and basically compiled it together for what worked for us. My plan was to try and stay home those first few days so we didn't have to worry about having accidents outside of the house. That was the hardest part for me because I like to go go go. Sitting at home all day is terrible to me. I took  a few notes those first few days so I could remember how it all went down.

Day 1: was very frustrating. Mainly because I had no idea what I was getting myself in to. You can read all the books and blogs you want but it boils down to what works best for your child. It took me that whole first day to figure it out. I read stick your child on the toilet every 20 minutes. Lillian did not like this one bit and actually made her hate the process. I pushed it back to 30 minutes then eventually to 45 minutes I learned quickly that she does not need to pee often. I also always kept her bottom covered because she would have an accident if I let her run naked. Two accidents that first day were while I was in another room (brushing my teeth and doing laundry) so I knew I had to watch her like a hawk. 

The first day we did actually leave the house once to go buy her smaller underwear. I put her in a pull up for out outing and made her go potty before we left, while we were at the store, and once we got back home. She never went potty and kept her pull up dry the whole time as far as I could tell. It was hard to tell if she went in her pull up or not because it felt dry. 

Our biggest success of day one was when she went poop in the potty. She has always been "regular" and goes after breakfast. That day she never went after breakfast so I had no clue when it would come. I read its okay if she doesn't go for a day or two but luckily she went that night on the potty before bed. 

The day ended with more successful potty trips than accidents. It was just as hard as I thought it was going to be. Every time she had an accident I felt like giving up. The times she did make it to the potty made up for the accidents because i was so proud of her. I also learned she does not like to sit on the potty long. She lets me know by signing "all done" if she doesn't need to go. If she hadn't gone pee in awhile I would turn on the water faucet and that helped but generally if she signed "all done" she never would go. 

Day 2: Lillian generally wakes up between 7-7:20am. "They" say to take them potty as soon as they wake up but she is like her momma and needs about 10 minutes to fully wake up in the mornings. She probably went during that 10 minutes because once I did get her up and eat breakfast she didn't go potty until 9:30am! Unfortunately shortly after that I caught going #2 in her pants. :( Other than that accident she did keep her undies dry the whole day. I felt much better after day 2 than day 1. 

Day3: We have done okay so far today. I noticed she was about to go #2 and I ran her to the potty. Unfortunately I think I scared it back in. Lol. This happened twice that day. I was worried if I didn't just let her go she would get constipated. She ended up going in her diaper during her nap and I was ok with that because I wanted her to be able to get it out. She did have a pee pee accident in her undies today but she expressed that she didn't like the feeling which was good to know she is understanding this process. 


Would have been nice to do this in the summer when is isn't so cold but we managed with our legwarmers!


Apparently I stopped notating after day three. Day four we drove up to my parent's house for the weekend to meet my new niece so she did wear a pull up more often that week but didn't have many accidents during the day. everyone was helpful about trying to get her to go potty throughout the day so she would  regress. 2 Weeks later and multiples trips out and about to church, the store, and traveling for Thanksgiving I'd say we are having success. I take her to the potty about every hour to an hour and a half and she will usually go. I still make sure she goes before we leave the house and before naps. There have been multiple naps since starting this process that she has kept her pull up dry and she only wears a diaper at night now. She hasn't had any more poop accidents in her undies but she does not like when I get her to try and go poop on the potty. She just hates sitting there that long. I wouldn't say she is completely potty trained (especially during sleep times and going #2) but I am one proud momma of how well she has done and so happy that we won't have to worry about spending money on diapers much longer!

Other things we did to help the process that I may not have mentioned are we did bribe with M&Ms. I didn't start that until day 2 and they were more to get her to sit on the potty than actually go. But she only got one if she actually went. I don't give her them anymore unless she specifically asks but most of the time she doesn't remember to ask for one. We also celebrate big time when she did go on the potty. We had a song and dance we sang.  I did try and have her watch short videos/books on YouTube before we started the process but she didn't seem interested in any of them but this one Potty Time. Another video our friend suggested you can try is Potty time with Bear. We did not get a separate potty chair although it may have helped more with going #2 but we used this one that a friend graciously gave to us.  No clean up for mommy has been nice and she will go on any big toilet.


We haven't had to travel farther than 1hr 30min. yet so if you have pointers for our upcoming trip to Atlanta let me know.




No comments:

Post a Comment