Monday, December 8, 2014

Christmas Festivities: Week One

Christmas is already so much more fun to me with a kid. Lillian doesn't really understand it yet, I don't think, but she is old enough to enjoy the festivities. I decided to try and do something special each day from December 1st through the 25th. I pulled some ideas from pinterest, family traditions, and events going on around our town. Let me just put it out there Huntsville knows how to celebrate Christmas. There are so many light displays, charity events, and Santa meetings going on in this town. And a lot of them are free or super cheap! Some festivities are little more exciting than others but 25 days is a lot to do something extravagant each day. I ended up with way more pictures than I thought so I broke it down into weeks. Here is what we did:

Day 1: Decorate Lillian's Tree
We put our family tree before thanksgiving but made Lillian's tree be the first event for December. Its a small (Charlie brown tree as we call it my mom super cheap after Christmas from Hobby Lobby one year. It has just a few small silver ornaments and then we will add her ornaments as we get them each year. She currently only has two we received last year; first shoes and an angel baby first Christmas ornament. She actually wanted to help put the ornaments on and then loved when we turned the lights on. I didn't have anything for the tree topper yet to Kevin put one of Lillian's large hair bows and I actually really like the idea. He is so smart!
It's just her size!



can you tell by my face I was a little worried she would drop the ornament and shatter across our wood floors...



Day 2: Watch a Christmas Movie.
To be honest I forgot to do something this day. Things were a little hectic but Mommy did watch a Christmas movie and Lillian paid attention every now and then. lol

Day 3: Santa
The Little Gym and a local mommy blog sponsored Smile and Say Santa. It was a FREE opportunity to get your photo taken with Santa. It was low stress and while you waited your turn to sit in his lap you got to play around the gym. I took Lillian just to see how she would do with Santa. My expectations were correct and she did not care for him, I finally got her to stand next to him long enough to capture one photo where there were no tears; no smile, but no tears. We planned to take her all dressed up to see Santa again for our Christmas card picture so I was hoping that would help her maybe warm up to him. I was very pleased with our experience. Not only did I get a quick picture but free play at the gym helped release some energy. We were number 14 in line and they were already on number 12 when we arrived. Super quick and they allowed you as long as you needed to capture your photo.
eyeballing Santa from afar


So glad Santa thought of this. Made for a funny picture at least.

Day 4: Tinsel Trail
Tinsel Trail is a FREE display of Christmas trees in the park in downtown Huntsville. The trees are each sponsored by local companies, organizations, and families. Lillian really loved seeing all the trees and the dogs. Apparently we went on one of the two nights they have where you can also bring your dog to walk around. I am not a dog person but every two seconds if Lillian wasn't screaming at the lights on a tree she was screaming "hup" "hup" (puppy) as a dog walked by. It was super cute.






Day 5: Bake something sweet
Technically we didn't bake anything. Does using the microwave count? We made puppy chow (aka crack to us because it is so addicting)! Luckily Daddy got home early from work and was able to help. It was much more than Mommy could have handled by herself. Lillian is quick to get sweets.
helping stir

BUSTED! so funny that Kevin got my finger in the picture




hard work deserves a reward. I think its safe to say she enjoyed it. 


so upset when Mommy took it away. I felt like I crushed her dreams.



Day 6: Christmas craft with Daddy
Kevin took Lillian to our local Home Depot for their FREE kids workshop. Kevin needed to pick up some supplies there anyways and this made for a cute little outing for them. They made Christmas yard stakes. 



Day 7: Christmas Special
We watched the I Love Lucy Christmas Special on TV.


1 comment:

  1. Lillian has the absolute best Mommy and Daddy! She is so completely absorbed in anything you throw her way!!! Thank you for sharing Amber. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete