Lillian was born at 8lbs. 9 oz she lost about 7 ounces within the first week then gained back 16 ounces by her 1 month doctor's appointment. Her torso is long but she is so skinny so we started with newborn size diapers (i think they go up to 10lbs) for the first few weeks. Thanks to my mom (Nana) we have tons of diapers and wipes.
Sizes: On April 7th, Lillian was 2 1/2 weeks old, the inevitable happened, Lillian blew out her first diaper (newborn Pampers), of course it was in church and got all over her new dress. Later that day she decided to grace us with another blow out. At this point Kevin and I knew it had to be that the diapers were too small. We got home and opened a size 1 (Huggies) and it swallowed her tiny little booty and belly. We decided to use the rest of the opened newborn diapers and just make sure to change more often. Once we finally used all of those we tried a different size newborn (LUVS) because it said jumbo on it. I am still unsure if that description had anything to do with the size but they fit her much better and didn't leave red marks on her legs. About a week later those diapers got too small as well, luckily we only have about 5 left, but we went ahead and tried a size one again. This time we tried Pampers and they seem to fit her much better than the Huggies size 1s. Now at 5 weeks we love the Pampers Swaddlers. They have a color-changing wetness indicator and this netting layer so when she goes #2 it keeps her from having to sit in it and makes for easier diaper changes.
Changing of Diapers: Speaking of diaper changes, Kevin is much better than me. I have been peed on a handful of times and daddy has maybe been peed on once. Apparently mommy doesn't learn her lesson easily. What would happen is I would take off her completely full diaper, close it up, wipe her and then open the new diaper. Well between wiping and putting on the new diaper she would pee and it would go all over her outfit and the changing pad. This is really frustrating at 3:00 in the morning. Daddy shared his wisdom and advised to put a wipe against her leg or belly before taking off the dirty diaper and then take off the dirty one and put the new diaper beneath her before wiping (we think the coldness of the wipe is what causes her to pee). So far we have been incident free for about a week and a half!
Returning diapers: Since we still had unopened boxes of newborns we wanted to try and exchange them for a size up. We tried taking to Babies R US but they could only give us the sale price which was about half of the regular price since we didn't have a receipt. Someone had mentioned to me that Walmart will usually exchange diapers easily so I may have to try there even though I hate going to Walmart. If you have a package of diapers that were opened but baby grew out of them before they were gone, don't fret, you can always use them for gifts like a diaper cake or this:
Brands: I know that some people say certain brands are better for boys and certain ones are better for girls and then once they start getting mobile certain brands are better. I haven't had to buy any diapers yet but we love Pampers for now. Plus they have a points program called Gifts to Grow and some of the rewards are useful. Each package of diapers and wipes has a code for points and then each month there is a special code for additional points. Obviously by the first picture above we have lots of Huggies in the larger sizes to try out. What kind do you recommend?
Where to buy: Like I said I haven't had to purchase any diapers yet but I do know one thing is never pay regular price. Diapers are always on sale somewhere and there are always coupons for them online or through your local grocery store. I have also been told that diapers.com has pretty good deals.

Love pampers! And have been doing the gifts to grow program since it started. Lots of great selections for the points. I order from diapers.com and soap.com all the time. Order baby things, cleaning products, laundry stuff, etc. Everything I would buy at target I get from there with free two day shipping!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm a diaper snob...pampers only until they get big enough where they have leaks in the night then i buy the huggies brand nighttime diapers for nights only! my favorite pampers diaper is actuallly the dry and clean (or dry and fit or fit and clean? I can't remember the exact name). i like the swaddlers okay but not the cruisers as much and the dry and clean ones are cheaper :) I also only use pampers sensitive wipes! The points program is great!!! also i recommend putting the clean diaper down and then lay her down on it before you take off the dirty one that if she does go potty the new diaper will catch it all ;)
ReplyDelete